Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - problematic confetti

It's hodgepodge Wednesday time and I'm cutting it fine but at least there's still an hour to go of this day. The questions are set by Joyce of the blog From This Side of the Pond.

1. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Elaborate.

Pictures evoke so many different thoughts in  people, some bringing back beautiful memories whilst others can bring you to tears. I looked after an elderly man once who was the only one left in his family and he would pour himself a glass of red wine, get out his photo albums, and spend the evening with his parents, brothers, sisters, and friends that were no longer with him.

These two photos are from our wedding in 1999, and they are worth way more than a thousand words. They speak of the happiness of the day, the make me think of all the people that shared it with us and then I think of the ones that are no longer with us. It brings back the overwhelming feeling of rightness to be marrying the man who had become my best friend and who really is my soulmate. And most of all it reminds me that confetti may look really romantic in pictures but it gets absolutely everywhere, especially if your mother empties a whole box of it down your cleavage - my beloved is getting out handfuls of it.


2. Have you ever driven any part of the Pacific Coast Highway? If so what was your favorite stop? If not, is this sort of trip on your bucket list?

I'm thinking that when I was on my six week trip to the states with three friends in the early 90's that we probably did travel part of this road but I don't remember. It's not on my bucket list, but the great ocean road in Australia is. I'd love to travel along this with my beloved, stopping regularly to enjoy the area.


3. How do the changing seasons affect you? As the seasons change do you find yourself looking more forward or backward? Which season-season transition bothers you most? Why do you suppose that is? 

My least favourite time of the year is when the weather starts to become cooler, warning that winter is on the way, so that's probably now. I quite like most of Autumn, the crisp days, the colour of the leaves, and knowing Christmas is round the corner, but I really don't like it when the days get shorter, the skies get grey, and it rains a lot.


4. It's your birthday and you get to pick the dinner menu. What are we having? Do you ever lie about your age?

Can I have just chocolate? No, that's probably not a very sensible thing to do so I'll add some other things in. I'd start with deep fried breaded camembert with crusty bread, followed by a plate of perfectly cooked scallops, and then sticky toffee pudding with lashings of runny cream. To drink during the meal I'd have a nice Pinot Grigio, but after the meal I'd have to have a lovely latte accompanied by mint slices, my favourite biscuit in the world (and not available in the UK).

I never lie about my age as all the important people know how old I am and the rest can just wonder and guess (usually wrong).

5. What's a life lesson you've learned recently?



This isn't a new life lesson, it's one that I keep reminding myself about regularly - you know those days when life can really get in the way of how you feel. It's a reminder to find something good in the worst situations, to know that no matter how bad things may seem at the time, they will get better.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

Something that has always intrigued me is when you see people sitting in picnic chairs by their car in a car park to have their lunch, when if they walked about ten metres or so they'd be in a much more picturesque spot to enjoy their food. Is it just a British thing or do people do this where you live? They've bothered to bring their fold up chairs with them and yet they just use them to soak up the atmosphere (and petrol fumes) of a car park. 

So there you have my answers, I wonder what yours would be to the questions? Before you go, pop over to Joyce's blog and see what my fellow bloggers have come up with for the Wednesday Hodgepodge.

Until next time, be good, stay safe, and do something nice for yourself this week.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx


14 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your responses, the wedding photos are precious! Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamela,

    Thank you for popping by my little blog. It's a pleasure to meet you through the "Hodgepodge" meme. I loved that you used your wedding pictures to illustrate "a picture is worth a 1000 words". I definitely see a lot of happiness and fun in these shots. I'm sure I would've died of embarrassment had DH retrieved confetti out of the front my dress as yours did, too. lol

    I'm in agreement with not liking the colder, grayer days of winter and it can have an affect on one's mood. I do better than most but it does bother me on occasion especially if other issues are stirring in my world.

    Yes, you certainly can have chocolate for your birthday if you want. I mean, what's wrong with that? I'll bring my fork! DH and the kids bdays are close together May - July and mine is way off in left field (December), so by the time it comes around I'm tired of cake and often request just ice cream for my special day. :)

    Someone else this round shared the same quote as you about learning to dance in the rain and it's something we all learn in life, usually later than earlier.

    I don't work outside the home so I'm not sure what people do for lunch. At times when I am out around lunch time, I just notice people going through a restaurant drive through or eating outdoors at the patio section. I do see sometimes store clerks sitting outside in the store's designated employee area for lunch or to smoke which isn't anything special. So, I imagine there are people other places who do some thing similar to this. It doesn't bother me one way or another but I'd find a better way to spend my lunch time, though.

    It was fun reading your answers and it was nice meeting you. Here's to a new friendship thanks to Joyce's Q&A! On Friday, If you like mewsic then you may want to check out my Battle of the Bands edition this Friday! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to tell my beloved that chocolate is definitely on the menu for my birthday. It's amazing how much the weather can impact our moods, and I hope that this winter isn't too grim.

      Will definitely check out your Battle of the Bands as I have another blog friend who does this challenge.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pamela. I enjoyed these questions and your answers. I can't say that I've really seen people picnic at their cars. Tailgating at sports events, yes. But to just put out their lawn chairs by their car and eat lunch, no. That does sound odd. Why wouldn't you want to take a few more steps and be under the canopy of some gorgeous tree? Hmm.

    As for the seasonal changes, I really miss experiencing the four seasons. Here in Texas we seem to have Summer with just a few weeks of cooler weather on each side of it. Sometimes it's nice for it to be 80 degrees in January, especially when you're having 60 people over for a playoff or Super Bowl party. But I so miss the cold blustery days of my hometown of Niagara Falls/Buffalo.

    Loved seeing your wedding pictures!! The confetti shot is adorable! Thanks for sharing.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele - they're too of my favourite shots from our wedding as they're totally unposed. I definitely prefer to have distinct seasons but would like it if winter was a little shorter.

      Delete
  4. Hi Pamela - yes those photos are lovely ... and getting to ride the Pacific Coast would be amazing... I've enjoyed the long drives I've driven - here and in South Africa ... great to see the answers - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Hilary. Long drives with nice little towns to stop in is always a great way to spend a day or two.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love your birthday menu! I have driven the Great Ocean Road and highly recommend it. Is there anyone who likes winter other than skiers???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing that birthday menu has made me want to create that meal - have to thing when would be a good time to have it.

      Delete
  6. That picture is hilarious! Looks like a good time :)

    Here's my hodgepodge:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2017/09/hodgepodge-91317.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colletta, I love the photo as it's totally unposed so really captures the joy of the day.

      Delete
  7. Sticky Toffee Pudding is one of my absolute favorites, but I haven't found it on a menu near me. I ate it regularly when we lived in the UK. Your photos are so cute! I love the 'confetti' shot-real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce, those photos are two of my favourites from the day as I love how happy we both look. I think you need to petition a couple of your local restaurants to get them to put sticky toffee pudding on the menu.

      Delete